Monday 19 May 2014

Quilled 3D turtle - free tutorial

I made this little quilled turtle as a fun gift for my son’s 25th birthday lol.  When he was a baby he used to use a little rubber turtle as a pacifier and I thought it might provide a laugh ;)  




How to: 

This was made using 7 tight coils.

Body: 2 large coils – diameter @ 1 inch across. I used two shades of green by gluing them together. The upper part of the body (the shell) is formed into a dome. The lower part is left flat.  

Legs: 4 smaller coils – pinched together at one end to form a tight tear-drop shape (see pix)

Head: 1 coil – pinched to form tear-drop and then curved.



Brush glue lightly on the inside of the dome (shell) and then attach to the flat coil (belly).

Glue the legs and head in place. 

I used my little 1 mm punch on black paper for the eyes.

I put the little guy into a tiny jar and decorated it with a few tufts of grass and some flowers. Oh...I brushed the bottom of the jar with glue first to keep them secure. 



Feel free to use this tutorial to make a quilled turtle of your own. Please do refer to my blog if you do. Thanks.  

Visit my facebook page here for more examples of my work. 












No comments:

Post a Comment