Monday 28 July 2014

Quilled African lady - with tutorial

My latest work…silhouette of an African lady. On my trip to East Africa a few years ago I was struck by the lovely colours and jewellery they wore. I’ve been wanting to work on a project that would portray both and here it is!  

I first did a sketch of the picture I wanted to work on and cut it out so I had just the bust (see the 3rd pix) 

Then using the cut-out I did the outline of the face and body on  black background. I used a toothpick to put the glue on one edge and then held it in place for a few seconds (counting to 20 usually works!) 

Worked on the turban using the comb husking method and placed them with pins. I put them in sets of four. When I was satisfied with the look I glued the four husked pieces together and wrapped them with yellow strips.  It took some trial and error because I had to keep changing the positions of the pieces to try and make it look like the folds of a turban. 



Then made the individual pieces of jewellery  and glued them all on the black ground. Voila! 



Below is what my cut-out looked like after I had finished...notice the many pin holes from moving around the bits until I was happy with the look :) 





Please feel free to leave a comment and visit/like my facebook page here



If you need any help with your work please do ask and I will be happy to try and help. 





7 comments:

  1. Stunning tutorial, you helped me figure out how to make the husked pieces, as I was having difficulty learning that from just pictures I was looking at. My inexperience could not wrap around the fact that it was husking. Thank you VERY much. I have seen your piece posted, and have Loved it from the start. Thank you again!! Kat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Kat. It usually takes some trial and error. I dare say a lot of quillers have stashes of discarded work. I know I do lol. Happy quilling!

      Delete
  2. alakananda ban
    hi...its a beauti
    to know one thi
    husking method
    steps plz?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi alakananda

    Thank you for your interest. I learnt most of the methods by searching online. There are a lot of helpful tutorials on Youtube and google. Try this http://www.craftcreations.com/Handlers/DownloadFile.ashx?DownloadID=496
    It's a pdf file and explains the husking method quite nicely. Good luck. Feel free to contact me if you need more help. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. very well explained....
    jus one question...
    u dont paste on the cut out directly....
    we should use pins first always or anyother method is there for bigger projects
    m new to these techniques

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mona, I first make a rough drawing/photocopy of my portrait. I use this to see where I want my quilled pieces to fit - using pins helps to ensure that they are in the right place, position, colour combination etc. If you stick the quilling directly on the main piece it can get messy if you make a mistake. Check the portrait I made of my daughter on my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/1425980714336853/photos/pb.1425980714336853.-2207520000.1455701259./1468846960050228/?type=3&theater
      Most quillers use pins (even for big projects) as they can easily be removed and placed elsewhere. I don't know of any other method, sorry. Are you working on a particular project that you need help with? Feel free to get back to me. Good luck

      Delete
    2. If you go through the photos on my facebook page you'll find other portraits I've done using the pin method. The quilling is stuck on a printed photograph.
      Oh the cut-out (white) for the African Lady project was my rough sheet. I used it for the outline on my main black sheet. But if you're working on a photo then you'd use a photocopy for the rough (pinning) and the photograph for the main. Hope this is clear...get back to me if you have questions.

      Delete